Task 7 Final Major Project Evaluation

Technical Quality
I put minimal effort into sound for the environment meaning I did not have time to add audio files to the character so you can't hear footsteps or even the wind. Some of the graphics and textures are off from what I wanted them to be; the texture for the sky-box messed up so I could only use a starry night and didn't like the way the water turned out.


This is some footage i have taken that shows the depth of the environment.

The image above is of the sky-box which due to the reasons above had to stay as a starry sky.


Here is an example of the water texture sadly enough its animation didn't seem to work and its also pretty dark which reflects the night.

As I've mentioned before the textures I used aren't to the standard I personally wanted.


Production Skill Development
Compared to the last time I used Unity I believe my skills have improved since then, as I now can texture assets and even do a little scripting. Overall my abilities in Unity have surely increased even if by just a small margin.  Also I have developed some skills that helped when planning which was my artistic talent, I was never good at drawing in the first place but with the help of constant concept ideas I gradually got better at drawing, I also think that even though I had some hard times with some tasks and the time we had I believe my time management skill has gotten a lot better over time.


Original Intentions
Compared to the original design of the environment, the final piece has quite a few differences as with time running low I had to make some adjustments for example I planned to have a few more structures but had to drop the number I wanted on the Island and I also had planned to have it during the day but to some unexpected problems I couldn't. When doing pre-production, I didn't plan as much as I should have. I created general ideas for my levels, and sorted out some decent assets and environment designs, but I think I should have done more and had more variety of ideas for the project.


Time Management

Honestly, my final work output doesn't equate to the time I was given to work on the project. I wasted a lot of time I should have used to work with. As I have already said, I stripped components and features as time has gone on due to limitations of remaining time to work. One of the problems I faced was to do with mainly my texturing as not all textures would work with the version of Unity I used meaning with the time I had, I would need to quickly choose from a limited amount of textures.

Also certain tasks I was unable to keep on track either because I did not work as hard as I could have, or because I underestimated how long it would take to complete different tasks. Because of this, I had to change all of the time set for certain tasks to more important tasks, so that I could complete the project on time. The schedule helped me to know where I was at each week.

Target Audience

Overall the reaction from my target audience seemed positive and negative since the feedback I asked for was what they liked and disliked and I have read them all and I now understand what I could of done better for example someone mentioned it was too dark, so the next time I would lighten up the scenery by making it day time etc. Also at the end of the feedback I asked them to rate my environment out of 10. 45% said 7/10 another 45% said 6/10 and the remaining 10% said 8/10.


Feedback
To get a more detailed feedback I decided to ask people what they liked about the environment, I received 5 responses, 2 responses mentioned how my environment looked very natural etc, 3 responses were to do with the layout or certain assets that I've used.

 To find out what they disliked about my environment, I asked what they disliked. Many of the responses mentioned assets such as there were too many trees or the fact I had no barrier of some type around the water so it didn't look like it just dropped off into nothingness. Other responses criticized the art of the game such as the quality of my sky and ocean and a lack of sound. These criticisms are very fair, and will be very helpful to me on my next project, as I now know what I didn't do very well and what I need to do next time. 

 Now to find out what I could do to improve my project I asked them what they think I should do. Most of the responses were to do with texturing and lighting, such as 'Improve sky quality', 'The detail of the textures' and 'play around with the lighting' referring to how dark my environment is. Also one response mentioned to add audio. I agree with this feedback and next time I do another project, I will try to give myself more time to add and edit the specifics pointed out.


Lastly, I asked for a simple rating out of 10, to find out how much they liked or disliked it. Most of the participants gave the environment a 6 or 7, and only 1 response being a 8.
I think that this response is fair, as my game does have a few issues with it, I feel that the quality of certain things could be better and I was unable to fix them before exporting due to time restraints. I feel that these ratings are fair.

When looking at the feedback from my audience, I am rather pleased with the results. Most of the responses were generally positive, but people did have a lot to say about what I could improve. Many of them said that my textures and quality of the sky plus the lack of audio were not very good and should be improved, which I definitely agree with completely and I will use these results to help me improve later on.



Conclusion
If I was to redo my project, I would definitely spend more time managing my time and allocating it to more important tasks, so I didn't have to rush certain parts of the project. I would also spend more time on my planning making sure I know exactly what I'm doing and how I'm going to do it.
 The skills I have acquired over time during this course has given me knowledge of Unity and other set of programs and skills like Art etc, this helped me create the final product. Also the fact I have been planning and scheduling my projects the same way including this project over the course of 2 years, the layout for my final project felt quite normal to me which made the whole process easier.